Miami Edison Middle School
Originally built as Miami Edison High School in 1928, three of the original historical building structures totaling 87,000 sq. ft. including the gymnasium with vintage wood flooring and the ornate 1,700 seat Art Deco style auditorium were completely restored in 1994. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Miami Edison Middle School was transformed into a modern educational complex arranged around a central courtyard through a sensitive historic restoration of the original building and the design of a new 107,500 sq. ft. addition that is compatible with the original historic fabric. Occupying an entire city block, the newly converted and renovated state-of-the-art middle school was reopened in 1997 to provide a full range of educational services for over 1,450 middle school students.